26 May 2011

How About a Beer?

If it's one thing I am rather sensitive to, it's advertising.  Sensitive meaning that I am fully aware of it.  It's one of the side effects of being employed in the commercial broadcasting industry most of my life.  So, naturally, I am one of those people who are not all that phased about the messages that are constantly bombarding my TV, radio, film, internet or everywhere they exist.  So, it comes as a little surprise when one ad or another gets through my rather narrow filter.

This one did. So I did some research.  But here's the rub.  The ad I am talking about is a beer ad.  You have seen it.  Heineken.  The ad shows the grand entrance to a party by some man about town with a groovy band playing on this stage.  No, I don't care for Heineken.  Even if it is the number one selling beer in Ireland (after Budweiser... no joke).  What got my attention was the band.

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour.  Never heard of them?  Me neither.  But they figured out how to sell records by putting hit songs on certain commercials.  Turns out they did it for an Apple iPhone or one their other "i" products.  Anyway, after doing a little research, I found this, the full version of the Heineken song with the accompanying video that tells the whole story of the party.  The actual commercial must have been edited from this piece.  The film is called The Entrance and that it is.  The song is called The Golden Age.

Dig it...





The band is Danish and the girl singing is Mette Lindberg and judging by her command of the English language, she seems to be singing this phonetically.  Not that there is any thing wrong with that.  She's good and I assume that is her real voice. 

An interesting side not about this band.  They were sort of discovered by Amy Winehouse.  They opened for her at a show in Copenhagen.  That turned out to be their first big gig. 

So, does this spot make me want a Heineken? Not really. But, I could certainly go for some fried chicken.  Figure that out, advertising consultant.

Stay Tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Once that caught me was a band named "Atomic Tom"...called "Take Me Out"....to promote the band, they did there song on a NY Subway, and each player used and iPhone to play his part...guitar, drums, keyboard, etc...it's very cool.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAllFWSl998

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Heiny fan until I got a whole case of skunks once. We couldn't even funnel one down it was so skunked.

    I tell you what I do like and that is a Heineken Dark. It is different than most dark beers in its hop content. Very little hops on the finish with a good malt taste. "Don't be afraid of the dark"- Martin Mull

    ReplyDelete