23 March 2014

Radio History - Selected Cuts

Please allow me to get a little educational here. The science of radio broadcast has always fascinated me. In the span of 100 years, it has come a long way. From the dots and dashes of Morse code to the incredible ability to broadcast a high quality signal around the world, I have watched in a state of wonder of how this business has changed on a technical level. If you think about it, a century is a short amount of time considering the things we take for granted, like FM radio is already an outdated form of broadcast. Even its commercial use is around 50 years old. 

If I am asked what it was that really attracted me to this business, it would be captured in this podcast. There is a certain magic associated with the science of radio broadcast. In this episode, I tracked down some recordings of broadcast history and assembled here for your listening pleasure. I'll attempt to explain their relevance to history and how the medium has truly changed the world.

It pains me to think there are those out there who will never know what it is like to manually tune a radio from one signal to another and to hear all the distant signals a hair's breadth out of reach to get to a stronger signal. In our push button society, that bit of magic is lost. To imagine for a moment what it must have been like to hear the world's breaking news through that little now outdated box still holds a fair bit of fascination to me and I hope we did a fair job of capturing that for your consideration here.




Download this episode (right click and save)

Thanks for listening and always remember... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment