17 August 2014

Exiled to Radioland, Part I: Where It All Began

And so it begins. The season three premiere of From Radioland starts with a 3 part series. This is the one people have been asking for. Well, maybe not this one, but this sets the stage. Since 2011, I have been asked to tell the story of my career in Memphis at Clear Channel. It was a blast. It was tough. It was more fun than the law should allow. It also ended in great tragedy.

One of the biggest highlights of my career was working with John "Baddog" McCormack. It was a time I will forever cherish and it will take me a bit to get to all the things that happened in those days. This episode is the first of that. It begins with my first days in the world of broadcasting. How I walked away from radio in the early days for the weirdness that is TV news. From there, I will tell you about my return to radio and my landing in Memphis beginning what would become a 14 year career in Memphis with one of the most iconic stations on the air and working with and sharing the spotlight with one of the most iconic broadcasters in the business.

Please, keep in mind over the next 3 episodes I will be relaying the stories and experiences I have been a part of over the past 30 years. I do name names and call out those who did, in my mind, despicable things in the name of corporate greed and ego. Am I bitter? Not anymore. Not after recording these episodes.

Bear with me, this is a long story. It is by no means the complete story. It is the story through my eyes and my ears. Those who I have named have earned, in my opinion, their rightful tongue lashing I will mete out over the next three weeks. If the shoe fits... right? What follows is from my recollections of those events and my experience directly from those same events.



Download this episode (right click and save)

A reminder here, after this series of episodes, I will no longer speak of these things in public. All future inquiries regarding the events depicted through these episodes will be referred to these shows. This was a difficult series to record. In fact, after taping this first episode, I lost my voice for a day. It was worth it.

Next week: Exiled to Radioland, Part II: Rise of the Evil Empire

Stay tuned...

1 comment: