31 August 2014

Exiled to Radioland: Part III, Into The Fire, Out Of The Ashes

This is the final part of the whole story I have been telling over the past three weeks. I would say it would be a thrilling conclusion, but not so much.

Part of this might be difficult for some to listen to as the subject matter here is quite heavy. Especially to those who lived it or witnessed it all from the sidelines. To record this, I had to relive some of those moments of anger and bitterness. Yes, I was reduced to name calling. But, as you might be able to understand, this was an emotionally charged time. It was not only the death of a dear friend, but it was the death of a great radio station and the death of a once enjoyable career in terrestrial radio.

For the record, if any one mentioned in this or the previous episodes have any issue with what is said here, they are more than welcome to contact me directly and give their side of this story. I'll be more than happy to share their side with the public.

But it is not all sadness. From these events came forth a beautiful idea of that what I am doing now. This episode and the previous two is where I finally lay it all to rest. Once and for all. This is the final word I have on the subject.



Download this episode (right click and save)

Epilogue: All of those who are mentioned in this show are no longer with Clear Channel. Eventually, after my career ended there, the corporate heads came in to Memphis and fired the middle and upper management. Even some of them lost their jobs as well. Tim is now on the air in Chicago and Michael... last I heard, is still out of the radio business. The wreckage they left behind in the wake of "corporate decisions" crippled Rock 103.

Shortly after these events, I was approached by their new management to come back and resume my position. Three times they came to me and all three times I said, "no".

Next week: I sit down with Dianna Fryer to talk about the business of show business and the popularity of internet radio.

Stay tuned...




1 comment: